small-dresses

Pages

Monday, March 17, 2008

"Easter...and Wisdom From Bonnie Raitt"

Well here we are the week before Easter...as a pastor this is like our Super Bowl coming up. There is a real excitement in the air around the church. But the crazy thing is that we are so willing to invite our friends to things we are excited about like our favorite band or concert coming to town or our favorite speaker coming to town, but let's face it it is so easy for us to get excited about those things but we tend to not get excited about the message of Christ's death, resurrection, and the opportunity to live forever. WHY???? Because we have forgotten as our salvation experience and how powerful it was as it gets farther and farther in the past. We forget how excited we were to have a God who never gave up on us in our ignorance.

1 Timothy 1:12-17
Paul’s Gratitude for God’s Mercy
12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him, 13 even though I used to blaspheme the name of Christ. In my insolence, I persecuted his people. But God had mercy on me because I did it in ignorance and unbelief. 14 Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus.

15 This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners”—and I am the worst of them all. 16 But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life. 17 All honor and glory to God forever and ever! He is the eternal King, the unseen one who never dies; he alone is God. Amen.

We have an amazing opportunity to bring people to hear how their life can be changed forever by the God who CAN and WILL change our story. That is something truly great so.......in the wise words of Bonnie Raitt, "Let's give 'em something to talk about."

No comments: