small-dresses

Pages

Friday, May 30, 2008

How'd he get here?


Short version:
Harper Josiah Snare born on May 29 in Grapevine, Texas at 11:18am via c-section weighing 7lbs 9oz and 20 inches long. Brown hair and blue eyed gift from God!!

Long version:
We arrived at Baylor Grapevine hospital at 5am on the 29th and we were met by a very prepared staff and ready room to deliver Harper by induction since he remained vertex, or head down. By 6am I was connected to an IV, pitocin and antibiotic and began the morning dilated at 3cm. Barrett and I passed the time by watching one our favorite movies "The Italian Job" and dozing as our nurse would come by and periodically raise the amount of pitocin in the IV.

Around 8am my doctor came by and did an ultrasound to confirm his position and let us know that I was now dilated to 4cm but that she was sending one of her colleagues over to break my water a little later.

At 10:15, they broke my water and made sure that Harper's head dropped with the release of fluids and now was dilated to 5cm. They let me know that the epidural was now available, but since I was so comfortable, still not feeling the contractions, I decided to wait it out a bit. After about 30 minutes, I noticed that Harper's heart rate was not registering on the monitor. Barrett saw me notice and asked if I was ok and before I could answer, the nurse came in and had me lay on my side as she was watching the monitors from the nurse station. His heart rate began to register again and now on my side I began to feel the contractions intensely. The anesthesiologist came by to introduce himself and give a rundown of the procedure for getting an epidural and how it would work if I ended up needing a c-section. As he left, the contractions became more and more intense and closer together, so I let my nurse know I was ready for her to order the epidural. She got the fluids ready for it and had me turn to the other side to try and get a better mark on Harper's heart rate which was dropping each time I had a contraction. She had already contacted my doctor to let her know and proceeded to follow the doctor's order to check my progress to see if I was ready to deliver. So, before the epidural could be administered, she discovered a prolapsed cord and went into action immediately to get a crew of about 10 people in my room and me wheeled out of the room and to the operating room in about 45 seconds. She told Barrett he had to stay behind because I was going to have an emergency c-section. They wheeled me down the hall with the nurse on my bed with me while she pressed Harper's head with her hand to keep it off of the cord. As they jogged me to the operating room and had she and I switch beds, everyone sprung into action communicating back and forth with medical jargon. My doctor was already there and put her hand on my arm to let me know she was indeed there by my side. The anesthesiologist and his assistant got the general anesthesia ready and then I was out...


...my nurse returned 10 minutes after leaving Barrett in the delivery room alone to let him know that Harper was fine, 7lbs 9oz and that I was fine.

...they sent Harper off to get a bath, trim his cord and run their tests.

...2 hours later I was finally coming back around to see my boys and receive the news that everything went smoothly and we were fine and in the postpartum room.


I finally got to see my little prince who was wide awake and staring right at me from his cradle. My new nurses came to take my blood pressure which just looked like numbers to me as I was still quite groggy at best. Apparently, when your bottom number is three digits, it isn't good. Because of this, they has to switch us rooms back over to the labor and delivery wing to be able to monitor the IV, the antibiotic from the c-section and now magnesium to lower my blood pressure, which they weren't sure why had spiked. The good news was that I felt fine, Harper was great and we had a new room with 5 windows looking out onto a beautiful day.


I struggled to stay awake through the day from some of the medicine they gave me and I'm sure just from the trauma of all that had happened. Barrett was a champ and helped me stay awake through feedings for Harper and getting me plenty of fluids.


Friday was much easier and finally got to take out all my wires- from catheter to IV and move back over to the postpartum room.


We ended the night with Harper having the most successful feeding yet and ready for some shut-eye.


We'll be heading home on Sunday afternoon. Thanks for all your prayers and words of encouragement!

9 comments:

Jamie Mullins said...

God is good! I am still in amazement about the way everything finally played out. Harper is BEAUTIFUL and I can't wait to hold that sweet boy again soon. Take it easy sweet friend and allow yourself plenty of time for recovery!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!

Anonymous said...

he is perfect! and i'm glad to hear you're doing well. love you!!

Andi Hawkins said...

I am so glad you were able to post this. I have been on pins and needles waiting to hear! He is soooooo adorable. Its like he knew he was getting his picture for the blog. Congratulations. I am so sorry that you ended up with surgery, but so happy that you are both fine. God is good!!

Jessica Rolf said...

He is such a pretty baby! What an entrance!

The Coopers said...

He is beautiful!. Glad he is here and you are all doing well.
Daniel and Amy Cooper

Momma Tilly said...

Congratulations guys!! Mel, you are freakin tough...and I mean like Mr. T tough. Can't wait to meet him!

Unknown said...

He is so beautiful! He doesn't look like most rumpled up newborns :) Congratulations!

Sara said...

What a cute little boy! Congratulations!